French President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday said some Coronavirus restrictions will be loosened in the country thanks to some improvement in the situation.
“The worst of the second wave is over,” Macron said in a televised speech on Tuesday evening.
Efforts to contain the spread of the novel Coronavirus paid off, but must be continued now, the French president asserted.
Retail stores that were previously closed could reopen from this weekend, the 42-year-old said.
Citizens will still need permits to leave their homes. Since the end of October, people have only been allowed to leave their homes for a valid reason.
From the weekend it will be allowed to go for walks and practice sport within a radius of 20 kilometres from home and for three hours a day. Previously, the parameters had been one hour within a one-kilometre radius.
Bars and restaurants are to remain closed for the time being – they are not scheduled to reopen until January 20 in the three-step path out of lockdown detailed by the leader.
Macron gave an outlook on the coming weeks. From December 15, there should no longer be any strict exit restrictions – but a night curfew from 9 pm to 7 am. If the situation permits, cinemas and theatres could then reopen.
With a view to Christmas, Macron said that people will be allowed to travel between regions without permits to allow visiting family during the holidays.
But he appealed to people’s sense of responsibility: “This will certainly not be a Christmas like any other.” A night curfew will be suspended for Christmas and New Year’s Eve.